Thursday, June 11, 2009

Why I Cloth Diaper

I am going to do two or three posts on cloth diapering. I have a few friends that are pregnant right now and interested in it, so hopefully I can provide some useful information.

But how did I start? I always thought it sounded like a good idea, but it sounded gross to me. Plus, I thought you had to pin, and no way could I do that. I also wondered about the laundry.

When Addison was 18 months old, I started really looking into it. It can be very economical (also a little pricey, depending on which diapers you buy), and when I found out what was actually in disposables, that motivated me to make the switch. Disposables contain dioxin, which is listed as a carcinogen. While I was in disposables and am fine, I didn't want that junk next to Addison's vital organs 24/7.

So the #1 reason I cloth diapers is that it is healthier for the baby.

#2. Better for the environment. Diapers are estimated to take up to 500 years to break down in a landfill.

#3. They are cute!!! Don't believe me? Here's a picture of Ryan in a fitted diaper:

4. They can be very economical. A baby in disposables, plus wipes can be $1500-$2000 for two years in diapers. Assuming they are 100% potty trained at two, which isn't always the case. You can reuse/resell the diapers, making back often half of what you have spent.

5. I honestly find them less messy and stinky than disposables.

Some basics:

-I do diaper laundry (1 load) every other day. When Addison was in diapers full time and Ryan was a newborn, I did them once per day. Just threw them in when I got home from work and folded before bed. Or sometimes didn't fold and just brought the basket upstairs.

-I use cloth wipes as well (they work SO much better!) and my own wipe solution. I think I made back my money on wipes within a month.

-When we go out, I take a wetbag with diapers, wipes and a travel size wipe solution.

-I have cloth diapered for a night at a cabin in Niobrara, 12 hour roadtrips to and from Ohio, while I was in Ohio, a night at my aunt and uncles and yes, I do it overnight as well. Overnight is perhaps the most tricky to find a solution for.

Next up: the types of diapers and accessories. What is a prefold? Cover? All in One? What do you REALLY need to get started? Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment