Thursday, August 13, 2009

Using up my veggies!

It has been a great week from my garden! I picked 4 cucumbers, 1 tomato (and more are almost ready), 2 yellow squash and 5 zucchini. Since I realized there was no way we could eat all of this before it went bad, I knew I had to do something with it.

The first thing I did was make zucchini muffins with white and regular chocolate chips. These are great for snacks, a quick breakfast, with tea in the afternoon...the possibilities are endless. And of course since I make them with natural applesauce instead of oil, they aren't horrible for you, either.





I also shredded 3 cups of zucchini and froze it for future bread or muffins, and I cut up the rest of the yellow squash and zucchini, blanched it, and froze it to eat this winter. Hopefully it freezes OK, otherwise I will probably put it in pasta sauces and casseroles.

The next task was to do something with the cucumbers, but I only had 4, which really isn't enough to can. All the canning recipes I found took over 12 cucumbers. I did find a few recipes for Refrigerator Pickles though, and I used a couple recipes to come up with my own. It has to pickle for a week, so I'll let you know how they turn out. I made them spicy for James by adding garlic and red pepper flakes. It looks good, so my fingers are crossed! I did spears and slices for sandwiches:





No comments:

Post a Comment