Thursday, July 23, 2009

Freezing veggies

My garden runneth over. At least with squash, zucchini and green beans. This week I actually had to sacrifice a squash plant, and pull it out completely. It was for the greater good, my beans will have more breathing room and the other squash plant will be able to spread a little. Still, it was sad ripping something out that I planted from seed.

This week, I got 3 yellow squash, probably 6 zucchini, green beans and 2 cucumbers from the garden- I was so excited! Right away I cut up 1 squash and 1 zucchini and sauteed it in a little olive oil and chopped garlic. I like to keep it a little firm, not mushy.

Still, I had a TON left. So I read up on freezing veggies and it is best to blanch them beforehand. So I chopped everything up, blanched it for 2-3 minutes in boiling water, cooled in ice water, and then put it in individually labeled Ziplocs. A Food Saver would be great, but it's not in the budget right now.

I also shredded 8 (!) cups of zucchini so I can just pull a bag out and make a loaf or two of zucchini bread throughout the fall and winter.

As for the rest of the garden:
Carrots: Pulled one up to check, it was 2-3 inches long and looked (and tasted) great!
Tomatoes: I have a ton of green tomatoes, when they ripen I am going to freeze some whole, and make spaghetti sauce with the rest. I want to attempt to can it, but I might wuss out and freeze it instead.
Zucchini: Still huge, still growing
Squash: Ditto
Green Beans: I have another "crop" maturing right now, should be ready to pick before the end of the weekend.
Cucumber: I have several teeny tiny cukes, but nothing growing yet.
Green/Regular Onions: Looking good, I'm not sure how big the regular onions will get but at the least I'll have some nice spring onions.
Green Peppers: Picked and used one, 2 more should be ready within a week or so.
Watermelon: The vine is growing, but no watermelon. Probably will not attempt next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment