Sunday, July 26, 2009

Attack of the Killer Zucchini

I was out yesterday showing my cousin Nora my garden and what I had in it, and I found a HUGE zucchini. Somehow I missed it- I'm really not sure how. So now I have even MORE zucchini and shredding this would probably result in like 8 cups of shredded zucchini. Friends and family- prepare for zucchini bread for Christmas! I will be doing lots of baking then!

For comparison and so you know I'm not exaggerating, here is Addison holding said zucchini:



I also did a little baking yesterday and made bread with herbs and parmesan cheese- it is so yummy! And super easy because it doesn't require kneading.

Here is the recipe:

2 c. warm water
2 T. soft butter
1 t. oregano
2 T. sugar
1 T. dried basil
1 t. dried garlic
1/2 c. parmesan- shredded or grated
4 1/2 t. active dry yeast
4 1/2 c. flour
2 t. salt
1-2 extra T. parmesan for the top- I used shredded for the look of it

Sprinkle yeast over water in large bowl. Let stand a few minutes, then stir and dissolve yeast. Add sugar, salt, butter, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, garlic and 3 cups of the flour. Beat at slow speed for 2 minutes. Beat in rest of flour; cover the bowl with a sheet of wax paper and a kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place 45 minutes, or until doubled in volume. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one round, 2-quart casserole. Set aside. Stir batter down for 1/2 a minute. Turn batter into casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes.

I didn't have a round casserole so I used a large Springform pan and it worked great! Also, the dough will be very sticky when you put it in the casserole but it is supposed to be, don't worry! This would be great with a pasta dinner, as bread for bruschetta, or toasted with butter on it.

Here is a picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment